Monday, March 26, 2012

You're only as old as your teenager thinks you are...


Karen here!

So, I used to have long hair. Really long hair. I had really long hair for a lot of years and I really loved it. It made me feel younger somehow. Silly, I guess, but it did. The closer I get to 50, the more often I find myself experiencing those wonderful "personal tropical vacations" that have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with sipping some delicious frozen drink whilst swaying in a hammock strung between two palm tress and listening to the waves and EVERYTHING to do with sweating profusely whilst feeling like a kernel of popcorn just about to combust! So last October, with much trepidation and more than a little anxiety, I headed off to a salon to have my locks shorn to a length that might help prevent the near homicidal panics that accompany that kind of internal, infernal inferno. One VERY short hair cut later and I started feeling much more like my old self.

Things around our house have been a bit hectic lately. Nicole and I have been in a baking frenzy. We make cakes and cupcakes and this past month has been everyoneweknows birthday. On Saturday, we finished off a heavily decorated three layer 12" red velvet cake that weighed over 20 pounds and contained enough batter for 72 cupcakes! I haven't had a lot of time to worry about my hair and it had gotten a bit long. Lisa, our 17 year old, had started to make comments about the state of my hair, so this morning I made an appointment to get my hair cut. Lisa was spending the afternoon and evening with her Meimei and Poppy (Nicole's parents), so I was hoping to surprise her with a mom that looked a bit more put together when we went to pick her up after dinner.

When we arrived at the salon, Jaime, my stylist, and I had the same crazy idea. Let's damn near shave one side of my head and do this cute, piecey, layered thing on the other side. It's an asymmetrical cut that is fairly popular right now and it wears equally well on the very young and the somewhat more aged crowd. I was SO excited. I was sure that Lisa was going to be tickled that I had chosen a hairstyle that wouldn't make her need to walk 10 paces ahead of or behind me when we went someplace.

The cut is cute! Nicole LOVES it! I love it. Even Meimei really liked it and thought looked cute.

Lisa says, "Wow, Mom.....look at all that GRAY!"

The hair color is on the counter.......


1 comment:

  1. Bahaha, "...look at all that GRAY!" Priceless. I like the haircut, it looks great! I can't do the really short cuts, even now I look like a boy when I do. Plus my shoulders are just a touch too broad and it makes my head look tiny. But you rock it, lady!

    =D

    ReplyDelete